Saturday 16 April 2011

Rhubarb and Custard

I don't really like rhubarb, but was given some freshly picked, organic and home-grown so I had to cook it! I also haven't been impressed with any Whoopie Pies that I have tried - and I have tried a few! I find them a bit dry... more like a stale cake with too much buttercream in the middle. Now, I hear a little voice belonging to someone I see most days saying - 'There is no such thing as too much buttercream!' but I just don't think anything helps the dry crumbs that you have in your mouth after eating a shop bought Whoopie Pie. However, on a recent trip to the local library (long may it stay open) I found a book on Whoopie Pies in the recent additions section - in it I found a recipe for Rhubarb and Custard ones. So with much trepidation I decided I would give them a go, and I am very pleased I did. They were absolutely delicious. Soft and light sponge, creamy vanilla custard and actually really tasty rhubarb. I am now a convert - and I am ready to try more variaties of home-made whoopie pies. The Rhubarb and Custard Whoopie Pie will be on the menu for the next Great British Afternoon Tea on 7th May. Places still available.

No comments:

Post a Comment